PRIZES AWARDED IN EACH CATEGORY
- 1st prize – a $100 gift card and your essay will be reprinted in the November/December 2021 issue of Cooperative Living.
- 2nd prize – a $50 gift card.
- 3rd prize – a $25 gift card.
#PowerfulCareers Essay Contest
Hey, students — let the more than 1.2 million readers of Cooperative Living know what you’ve learned about the value of careers in energy. Our #PowerfulCareers campaign is sponsoring an essay contest to explore and explain why energy-related professions are important.
- Essays will be accepted starting March 1 and ending Sept. 1 through our submission form at vmdaec.com/powerfulcareers. No mail-ins will be accepted.
- Essays should focus on one career opportunity in the energy field. Explain what the job is, what it entails, why it matters and how it relates to the energy business.
- Be imaginative in your research! Reach out to your local electric cooperative. Use trusted sources like the Center for Energy Workforce, the U.S. Department of Energy, and major print or magazine media. (Wikipedia is not a source!)
- We have two categories: grades 7-9 should submit essays of 500 to 750 words. Grades 10 and above should submit essays of 800-1,200 words.
- Essays will be judged by the staff of the Virginia, Maryland & Delaware Association of Electric Cooperatives based on originality, grammar, creativity and understanding of the subject matter.
All essays must be original and must not have been published anywhere else. All information from entrants will be held in strict confidence and will be used for any other purpose.
Direct questions to [email protected].