Family members, supervisors and others gathered on March 17 in celebration of the completion of a four-year apprenticeship by 7 substation technicians representing electric cooperatives and municipal utilities.
Graduating from apprentice to substation technician status requires the completion of thousands of hours of extensive training, both on the job and in the classroom at the Electric Cooperative Training Center in Palmyra, Va. Instructors Bob Wilcox and Joe Levin continually stress the importance of safety and communication.
Congratulations our March 2023 STAP graduates:
- Chris Miller, Community Electric Cooperative
- Philip Parker, Town of Culpeper
- Brandon Martin, City of Martinsville
- Todd McCrickard, City of Martinsville
- Kyle Jennings, Mecklenburg Electric Cooperative
- Gabriel Fearing, Northern Neck Electric Cooperative
- Steven Blake Poindexter, Southside Electric Cooperative
Two apprenticeships are scheduled to conclude in April. Three students will complete the Systems Operator Apprenticeship on April 6, while 14 apprentices become journeyman lineworkers on April 14.
–Report by Jim Robertson, Director of Marketing, VMDAEC.